| Looking down at you |
Moving fairly quickly along with these models, I wanted to try out some of the new "True Metallic Metal" paints from Vallejo. The main reason was some of the colour variation available; I have enough metallic paints from Citadel, but sometimes I want a subtle difference in tone than available from that range. I'm actually more interested Aged Metal, but here I used Imperial Gold to separate the 30k Sanguinary Guard from their 40k counterparts.
First off I undercoated the entire model with Dryad Bark. This is my standard for any golds now, and I typically try to introduce some of that with following paints when using the Citadel range, building up colours layer by layer (very easy to do with an airbrush). It didn't really work here. At all. The airbrush paint doesn't need any diluting, but it doesn't mix well with Citadel and trying to be thin with it just ended up with extremely poor coverage. It was so poor in fact that I needed to go back over the models with either a third coat, or with a brush and the base paint.
This is where I hit another snag with Imperial Gold. Two or three passes with the airbrush would be fine to build up complete coverage, but the base paint is ... different. It behaves almost like a gel crossed with a Contrast paint. Very poor coverage, and it needs to be applied in multiple thick layers. It does kind of auto-level to a degree, but it was extremely bad to work with. It might just be that particular paint however, as the light colour behaves much better.
I tried to mix the base and light colour to do some volumetric highlights and it kind of worked, but with limited success. I have a better experience here with the Citadel range, by orders of magnitude. I suspect again that it's the base paint which doesn't like being thinned, because the light version was perfectly fine for edge highlights on its own (but is too much of a jump in value to try glaze with).
The shade is almost like a mix between a normal shade, and a Contrast paint. It's quite dark, applies evenly, but also goes kind of tacky very quickly. Once that happens, any disturbance will tear it immediately and cause it to bunch up in a kind of messy film over the surface. If you're very quick you can drag the paint off before that happens, but you need to be fast to do that. It's a nice enough colour though and dries with the same finish as the metallics. I suspect I could do a lot better with some practice, but it doesn't lend itself too well to my preferred painting style.
My overall impression with Imperial Gold (and by extension the whole TMM range, knowing that it could differ for other colours) is that they're really nice if you paint in the "BSL" system. This is quite similar to how Games Workshop tutorials work, but more structured with the paint range. The problem is that I don't quite paint that way - I prefer to mix up gradients with tone and value variation, with thin layers and glazing as I go. I really rely on translucency of paints, thinning with different mediums (water mostly, but acrylic flow improver quite a lot too), and constant adjustment as I go. If the TMM colours fit with what I'm after, they'll be fine. If not, I'll struggle. If I were painting large numbers of troops in a metal finish (say, Thousand Suns) then I suspect the TMM range would be very useful.
I persevered and in the end came up with using Balthasar Gold mixed with Imperial Gold to get better coverage and then used that as a shadow colour in certain areas. That's not shown on the model in the photo - the shadow areas there are just the Dryad Bark showing through more than I intended. To highlight I loaded managed to work the Imperial Gold base as a kind of glaze filter to blend the overpowering Balthasar Gold into the mid-tones, and then added some of the light to keep going for highlights. It...works. I just prefer the Citadel range for doing that sort of thing.
Doom Metal (Two Thin Coats) shows where I want more steel / silver colours to go, which at this stage is just for blocking in parts to get a feel of how the model will go. Then we come to the pouches and pistol holster. That's a tricky bit, but I didn't want it too high in value, nor just a dark brown. I base coated with Wraithbone, then hit it with a coat of Gore-Grunta Fur. There's just a hint of orange there which I like, but it was too bright. I tried another with Wyldwood, but that was simply too dark and wooden. I tried mixing the two, which just kind of desaturated everything and was messy. In the end I'll likely stick to Gore-Grunta Fur, use Wyldwood for some straps just to break up the monotony, then go in with maybe Agrax Earthshade to darken things in a few places. Maybe Squig Orange can be used later to add scratches and brighter highlights, though perhaps it will need a hint of the Wraithbone in it to do that.
Gehenna's Gold is probably a fair approximation for the Imperial Gold base, while Liberator Gold is very similar to the light variant. The shade is possibly a close match to Ratling Grime.
-- silly painter.
No comments:
Post a Comment