| "I can't hear you!" |
There wasn't too much left from the last post on these models, but they're finished finally. It only took a couple of months, which for me is actually quite fast considering I get all of fifteen minutes most days.
The bulk of what was done was just the silver highlights, which used a combination of Doom Metal (Two Thin Coats), Iron Warriors, and Iron Hands Steel. I could go substantially brighter yet, but I rarely find the need to go to the level of extreme polished metal, particularly because the swords here need that darker tone to work with the blue energy effect.
It took a while to figure out what to do with the shield on the Sergeant. I toyed with various intricate design ideas but ultimately went with a simple white insignia on black background. There are colour theory reasons why this works, but suffice to say that it's the safer option (difficult to mess up) and therefore looks much nicer than any other plan I had.
| Wonder if he uses that to put a pizza in the oven. |
Most of the grenades have a very subtle shade to them. After the metallics I used Space Wolves Grey on what I think are intended to be krak grenades, and Athonian Camoshade on frag grenades. It's too subtle really so in future I might use two coats of each.
| Charging headbutt. |
| He's got a (m)ace up his sleeve. |
While experimenting with Talassar Blue for the jump pack glow I had the idea to recess shade that paint around some of the power weapon energy effects. I was using Drakenhof Nightshade for this, but the more vibrant blue of Talassar Blue works better. It does need thinning slightly, and in future I should paint over the raised areas again, but I think it's worth exploring this path for power weapons further.
| And my axe. Mine. |
The jump pack glow was picked up from the 'net somewhere and is essentially a light blue, Talassar Blue with Contrast Medium, then Gauss Blaster Green followed by more thinned Talassar Blue. It's quick and easy, but I don't particularly like the look quite as much as my older formula. The one advantage though is that Talassar Blue is quite vibrant so perhaps I can incorporate it somewhere as a filter of some kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment