![]() |
| More paint. |
Just a quick post on the second iteration of my own paint rack design. There will be a third.
- The major changes are:
- Shorter brackets.
- Some of the L-shaped rails are lower (because the wood is cheaper that way).
- Less space between rows.
- Bottom of frame serves as an extended bracket.
The lower rails benefits the older Citadel paint pots, but isn't quite as nice for Two Thin Coats or the dropper bottles I used for some things. I have enough for a second paint rack but haven't yet bought L-shaped trim for a third as I'm undecided as to which I'll go for. I have a lot of Citadel paints, but I'll replace many of that range as I go through them with equivalents from other brands. Maybe. On the other hand it's always simple to just put tags in front to know which paint is where. Still some time to decide.
I put more effort into making this paint rack flat so that the wall hanging strips are more equally attached to the wall. The first iteration has some problems here and the strips came away in places. The paint rack is still sturdy and attached to the wall but I ended up using a little bit of glue to make sure it stays that way.
The obvious change to make for a third iteration of the design is that the rows are still further apart than they need to be. They were so far apart before because of the airbrush paint bottles, but now that's not really needed. I think I can squeeze one more row in if I lower each by about 15mm. One row would be shorter than the others, but I don't think that matters overly much. It does mean that the size of paint rack no longer aligns nicely with the lengths of wood I'm purchasing, but right now I have a couple of spare rows anyway and want to make two more racks, so it will even out in the end.
The dimensions I'm using are:
- 2.4m lengths of strip wood.
- L-shaped is 34mm x 34mm preferably. Shorter on one side if desired.
- Rough cut is 15mm thickness, 40mm width.
- Each row approx 40cm in width (I make the frame wood 41cm because I can).
- Height of 60cm.
- "Brackets" about about 20mm cuts from the rough cut strip.
Each row is angled such that the front is 1cm lower than the back. Not much, just enough to make it easier sit the paints in without them falling the wrong way by accident.
Guess I'd better measure up and cut more lengths the next time the weather permits.
-- silly painter.

No comments:
Post a Comment