| Superhuman murder machines never looked so stylish. |
In the background of other projects I've been slowly working on the Praetor, trying to get this model at least to the stage of varnishing. I'm not there quite yet, but I'm very close now. I was working on the White Dwarf when motivation suddenly switched to this model so I just went with the flow.
I've deviated from the reference in a few places just because I felt this fit more with the rest of my Blood Angels, and also for reasons of symmetry, which is one approach to balance out the aesthetic. There are other ways of doing this, but they take a lot more mental effort than I could spare at the time.
Nothing new on the insignia and wing symbols, it's the same as I do across the range, but this time I tried to up the contrast more and make it more readable. Literally the same paints, just highlighting slightly more in places. This works particularly well on detailed sculpts, but less so on simplified designs common to 40k models.
The leather (or what I imagine to be leather) ornamentation took me a while to figure out. I wanted it different to the armour, different to the weapon, different to everything else. It's just Skavenblight Dinge and Stormvermin Fur over black in the end. I didn't want brown leather, but even so something with a brown hint would be suitable - a grey with a hint of brown. Those two paints are my go-to whenever I want that. It doesn't make a big difference in the photo, and even on the actual model it's subtle, but it's enough to be what I was after.
The major addition however is on the cape. I decided to go with an NMM approach to set it apart from the the TMM paints and hopefully depict gold threaded fabric rather than a solid metal lining. I think I like it.
- Rhinox Hide base coat. This will give a warmer gold tone.
- Dwarven Flesh (Two Thin Coats) mixed with the previous colour (it was on the palette) and layered on maybe 70% of the area.
- Tau Light Ochre mixed in and layered over maybe 40% of the area, focusing on the reflection points.
- Yriel Yellow mixed in and glazed over perhaps 15%.
- Dorn Yellow glazed over the final most raised or reflective points.
I didn't use any white, leaving room to still use this formula on hardened surfaces and provide a final spot highlight to really up the contrast. I intend to try that out on a certain other Terminator armoured conversion I'm also working on in the background.
I've started to edge highlight this model, even knowing that I'll need to do so again later. It worked well enough before varnishing on the dreadnought that I figured I'd give it a go here.
-- silly painter.
No comments:
Post a Comment