Monday, September 23, 2024

Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought - Part III

Armless maybe, but harmless not.

Not too much to say here other than I'm starting to fill in some colours on the body of the last "boxnought" dreadnought. There are a few details remaining, but I can soon start on the arms I think.

The sarcophagus is the part that really brings everything to life (as is natural for a dreadnought), but it's also one of the simpler things to paint here. There's nothing fancy beyond my normal approaches, and I'm following the box art fairly closely. I forgot to put some silver around the side gems, which I'll need to very carefully do later, but the one "cheat" I suppose is actually the side cabling. I'm not using multiple different colours, no fancy hazard stripes, just all metallics, black, or some variation thereof. I used to take far too much time selecting appropriate cable colours, and now I kind of don't bother without a very good reason. It's simply a time saver.

The armour I'm still highlighting gently in places. The airbrushing back then did most of the work, but was lacking in a few key areas, most notably the feet. I'm concentrating most of the manual touch-up around them. I'm also leaning into highlighting lower panes of flat surfaces to give more depth and shape to then, and I think it does help. It's possibly not very physically accurate, but it looks nice and helps readability.

The base I'm going for another marbling look, but with perhaps some more weathering added later on. I think I know why some previous attempts never turned out quite right and so this time I'm going to work slightly in reverse: the thin marbling lines will be added next, and then some of the more gentle striations. This should prevent the thing lines from overpowering everything, and blending them in more. I find marbling to be about subtlety more than anything else.

And that's about all for now. The metallic surfaces haven't had additional highlights yet, and I might wait until after varnishing for that, or I could do some basic highlights first, then pick out details again afterwards. I'll see how motivated I am.

-- silly painter.


No comments:

Post a Comment